View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenslilAngel View Post
Hi all,

Please feel free to refer me to other threads if they exist on my question.

I am contemplating a career change from IT to Greek/student affairs/university administration etc. I may have mentioned like 3 completely different jobs etc. A little disclaimer, other than the fact the first place I probably need to start to achieve this is back in the classroom to get some Higher Education education, I know next to nothing about how to go about making this change.

As stated, I'm currently in the IT industry. I do technical support and want to get out of that because 1) I don't see the advancement opportunities despite the fact that I have a Bachelors in Computer Info. Systems and a Masters in IT. The reason is that politics are pretty prominate here as with any IT company. 2) I'm tired of job hopping within IT. I quit either because its boring or the politics get bad or they fire me for taking off too much or just typical lay offs etc. 3) I volunteer for ASA and absolutely love it and am very passionate about it. I find it extremely fulfilling and have spent and continue to spend approximately 30% of my life on it. I started my current position in 2006.

I'm open to other positions in IT but I fear that I may not find them fulfilling either. I want to be stable and love going into work every day. I don't dread it now but its not exciting. Any links, advice etc would be greatly appreciated!

I have other thoughts but I'm about 2 minutes from getting off work YAY!!!!
I don't have any inside information regarding this, just a thought I'd like to share...is there any way you could try to combine these 2 fields to find a career that would be more fulfilling for you? For example, my former boss's wife had a computer science degree, and she worked for UGA writing the programs they used to do bids matching. Basically (I believe, as far as I was told) she was a programmer for the Greek Life office. Maybe you could try to find something that would highlight your areas of expertise within an environment that involved more of your interests? Just a suggestion.