View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MissVirginia
starting a chapter of a sorority

Hi everybody, I just had a couple of questions I guess you could call them. Last fall myself and several other girls tried to start a chapter of a multicultural sorority on my campus. For discretions sake, I'd prefer not to mention the name of the school or organization over the message boards. Now things were going along just smoothly, the girls and I rushed and all but two of us made it. After that things pretty much seemed to go to heck in a handbasket. Most of the girls dropped for various reasons, the remaining girls(with the exception of myself and on other girl) had a really hard time getting motivated, and we couldn't for the life of us seem to attract other girls. At least not other girls that were in it for the long haul. We would get like two or more interested girls and then they would find out that they couldn't cross, couldn't wear letters, couldn't even advertise or promote the sorority without getting clearance and they'd lose interest. I mean we weren't even allowed to use different flyers despite the fact that the one we were using didn't really do much to attract attention. Another major turnoff seemed to be the time commitment. When they found out how long we'd been working at it and figured they'd be in for more of the same they seemed to lose interest. We even tried not telling them how long we'd been working at it but even then they just didn't seem to want to put in the time when they felt they weren't getting anything back. By the end of this past spring semester, it was just me and one other girl. We were the only ones who stuck it out but we still didn't get anything for our efforts and now that she's graduated it's just me. Prior to her graduation we presented our case and asked if we could be permitted to cross at another school or if we could cross by ourselves. We were denied and we were also denied more leinency with regards to advertising and getting interest. It was very disheartning and although the other girl initially said she'd stay with it after graduation, she is no longer interested. The active sisters don't really seem to care one way or another if I stay with it or not and they really don't offer me any help with regards to gathering interest other than to tell me to post flyers. I guess what I'm really wondering is if I should try to stick it out for at least another semester or if I should either forget about it or pursue another organization. I just feel like I've invested so much time, energy, and effort into this organization and I've never gotten anything back, esp. what I originally sought which was sisterhood. Are things like this common in multicultural sororities or what? I'm rather confused because I thought that they would be very willing to help someone that was so dedicated expand their organization but I was obviously wrong. Any insight is much appreciated.

Last edited by MissVirginia; 08-03-2004 at 12:49 PM.