Thread: Accepted 2 Bids
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatToDoNow View Post
The recruitment is Informal here. I don't think there is a "bid day" that is only for the girls. pledgeship starts in 2 weeks.

I personally didn't fill anything out but the recruitment chair for F1 went over to a book and jotted something down, couldn't have taken him more than a second.. then we all returned to the party.
The way F1 extended the bid was extremely sketchy. They got you drunk and then it sounds like they hotboxed you, which is where you basically surround a kid and pressure him to accept the bid. As to whether that's binding, it totally depends on your campus. Again, I'd probably inquire with your Greek Life office.

What they did wasn't very honorable and it isn't very indicative of a quality organization. That said, reneging on a bid you accepted isn't either. Especially for the reason you're giving, which sounds primarily as if you value the prestige of F2. Before you go off and withdraw your bid, you're going to want to find out what the rules are. There are sometimes agreements between houses through IFC which would prevent you from going anywhere else after you've accepted a bid.

It'd probably be a pretty clear cut situation though if you went to F1 and asked them if they'd release you from your bid, but again, you need to ask someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

Lying to F1 or F2 for any longer is pretty unacceptable though. It makes you look dishonorable and like a social climber--something F2 probably has very little use for.

If anything, you've learned a valuable lesson about making important decisions while under the influence.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma