View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Ok we get that you're upset, but many alumnae members that are still active sorority members long after graduation will completely disagree with your point about without the collegiate experience you have a weak bond, if you have a bond at all. Unless you've done a survey of every alumnae member you shouldn't be generalizing. I can tell you that many of the ladies I know probably have stronger bonds with their alumnae chapter sisters, then they had with their own collegiate chapter sisters.

Unfortunately life isn't fair. I hope you won't be calling human resources if your daughter doesn't get the job that she was "dreaming about".
Because sh*t happens during freshman year. Women drop out because of family circumstances. Women flunk out. Women drop out because of personal circumstances. Women transfer schools. (We're not changing the rules for them, either.)

Just because a woman leaves her chapter before the full 4 years is up, doesn't mean that a woman's sorority experience is wrecked. It just means it's going to be different than she imagined it. I bounced around a bit as an undergraduate. I only lived in my chapter's house for one semester. I was only there for 3 semesters. I still love my chapter and continue to participate in my sorority as an alumna.

Your daughter is now an alumna. She can make the best of it, or she can be bitter and miserable about it. Up to her. If I were her parent, though, I would encourage her to make the best of it and to get involved elsewhere on campus.

If it's THAT important, she can transfer schools to an active chapter that accepts affiliates. (Not all do. Depends on the campus.)