View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frat123 View Post
I met several the brothers and they all seemed chilled. Majority of the on-campus and good fraternities are full of tall white guys. I'm a short (5'7'') Asian guy. I'm not foreign, and I enjoy playing sports. I think it's just an image thing. In general, most fraternities aren't really diverse. I don't want to pull the racist card but that's how I see it. It's going to be same at several fraternities that are on campus. It's very discouraging. I really want to join the fraternity, because I actually like it there and the guys are chill.

I don't him or the fraternity sound bad. They're really cool. The guy who invited me hinted I could join in Fall, but there's a lot of pledges. It's just that he PREFERS me to join during the Spring. He was like ya "re-rush during the spring, because there's less guys." I really want to believe he's being genuine about it, but I'm honestly not sure.

Btw I really appreciate everyone's input so far!!
1) I can't comment on your first paragraph because I don't know your school nor know it's demographic make-up. So what you're saying could be very well true and not an exaggeration. However you say "good" fraternities. Do you mean good as in, ones officially sanctioned by the school? Or do you mean as in they are 'top' groups? And again, you may want to join the group, but if the group doesn't offer you a bid, there's not much you can do except move on. Sorority women on this website are frequently told to maximize there options and look at every group if they want to go Greek. Men looking at fraternities need to do the same. The 'top' groups might not be in the cards for you, but the 'average' or 'middle tier' ones might be a great fit.

2) I've never heard of the "I'd prefer you rush in the Spring" or "We have too many people in our pledge class" lines. Yes fall pledge classes are traditionally bigger, but telling someone to not rush in the Fall just seems very strange.

Again, we have no idea the context of what was told to you since you were the only one there. Could the guy have been genuine about you re-rushing in the Spring? Sure. But in my experience as a fraternity member, I've never heard of such a thing.

Like DeltaBetaBaby said, think critically when you are at this dinner and see if you really do fit in. Take off the blinders of wanting to join the group and think objectively.

And also, take a look at the other groups you don't perceive to be the 'top' or 'good.' People forget how fast things can change in regards to perceived hierarchy among groups. (While this is an NPC example, a girl who I knew rushed and received a bid to the perceived 'bottom' sorority. Less than two years later, the group turned into one of the 'top' groups, and still is to this day.)

Best of luck on whether you end up pursuing Greek Life or not.