View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm always in awe of people who can support themselves totally during college. I have a very part-time (read, 6 hours/week) because it's in my major, but I use that money to pay sorority dues and trips to visit my boyfriend and things I'd just rather not ask my parents for. It's bad enough that they pay what is equal to the average income for a FAMILY just for me to go to school a year, and I'm not going to tax them further with paying for extras outside of tuition, room, board, books, supplies, travel, and general personal expenses--oh yeah, can't forget emergencies. If you go to a public school, chances are the tuition is lower and there's a housing shortage--which makes living off-campus and supporting yourself through a job much more feasible. I know where I go to school, the surrounding neighborhood is rather expensive, and everyone is required to live on campus for their first three years, and many seniors don't even live off-campus, because it's cheaper and much less of a hassle. I'm sure that if I had gone to my state university or even an out-of-state public school, I wouldn't work at all, and I'd probably have even more disposable income. It all depends on where you go to school.

People support themselves basically because they HAVE to. Despite the relative affluence of the United States, so many people are in debt and can barely pay all of their bills, let's not even go into paying one (or MORE) college tuitions. Also, there are so many people who are not financially dependent on their parents.