View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was researching the possibilty of extension at my campus, I noticed a similar trend in numbers. Granted, I'm talking about sororities, and Maryland is a very different school that Louisiana Tech (that is the Tech you are referring to, right?).

Back in the 80s, quota was 40-50, and this was with 18 chapters; chapter size ranged from 100-150. In 1987, Maryland had a record number of PNMs register, and to accomodate the growing interest, PHA added Zeta Tau Alpha 2 years later. However, from 1990-1993, 4 chapters closed (1 for immediate financial issues, 1 for RM issues, and the other 2 were low membership), and a 5th chapter closed in 2000, also due to low membership. One can theorize that with less diversity of chapters, fewer students will seek to find their niche in a GLO.

In 1996, Maryland switched to a deferred formal recruitment. Almost always, having a deferred recruitment will decrease the number of PNMs because they get into a "grind" with the activities and clubs they joined first semester and then they decide they can't/don't want to commit their time to a GLO. However, one strong argument for deferred recruitment is that the GPA is higher, since PNMs will have a semester of college coursework under their belts, so PNMs are weeded based on college GPA, not high school GPA.

Also, in the mid 1990's, a strengthened Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life implemented a "Vision" program, requiring chapters to submit a vision statement, have values-based programs in a variety of areas, academic requirements, etc. to be recognized. The social policy has become stricter, and much more regulated.

Maryland, like Louisiana Tech, has also become more academically selective in the last 20 years, but enrollment continues to grow (and our Greek community is slowly growing again).

I think the Greek community at my alma mater (and I am sure it is a common trend at many other Universities) faces a double-edged sword. The stereotypes of Greeks would suggest that dumb, materialistic, party-hard students go Greek. However, the Greek community seeks smart, well rounded students, who value friendship. These students may be turned off by the stereotypes of Greeks, and therefore, not go Greek.

Sorry to ramble, but I hope this may give to some ideas to explore about membership at Louisiana Tech.

Last edited by violetpretty; 01-10-2008 at 08:15 PM.