View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Help!

I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do about the series title. The former series was 4 books, set in college and the series title was Brookline University (as were most of the books ... let's say titles are not my strong suit lol). I then (briefly) published two prequels under the series title Streetwise, although they were directly before Brookline so totally related. I had no idea what I was going to do with the planned sequel.

But now it's a 7 book series, starting with the prequels, which don't start in college (first book is 13-16, second is 16-18, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th in college and 7th about 5 years later).

So I'm having a dilemma about the series titling because if new readers see Brookline University and that doesn't show up until book 3, it may turn readers off. But, for people who knew it previously, it's how they know it.
Ok.....so if I understand correctly, you have: Streetwise, Streetwise, Brookline University, Brookline University, Brookline University, and Brookline University. You are now working on the 7th book, the sequel. You are looking for feedback on how to pull all seven books in the series together. Is that correct?

My opinion probably means little; but, since I'm not a writer and have no background in publishing, it may help to have the perspective of a random, casual reader. I did read Brookline University. Just looking at the titles, I don't naturally draw a nexus between "Streetwise" and "Brookline University". As far as I know, those are totally separate books/series with completely different characters and are unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Is it possible to call it just Brookline? Or consider the first two like "Road to Brookline" or "Prequel to Brookline" or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
There's also the possibility of using those as subtitles and then a series name for the entire series.

For me, it seems like you should kind of be in this area. I strongly associate your writing in this series with Brookline University. So, something like "Streetwise - A prequel to Brookline University" or something like that might work. Again, I have no professional background in this, but Brookline seems like it should be in there somewhere. I'm not sure if they can *all* be called "Brookline University" regardless of the time period in which the plot takes place, but Sen's suggestions seem to be a good compromise.

True and Constant