View Single Post
Old 09-09-2003, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
Kelly, please re-read my post: here is what I said:

"If you want to check both groups out then use the discreet approach instead of the total honesty approach --
I am not saying to lie

but I would not volunteer that you are looking at two groups..."

Cele,

Please, let's not get into a fight over something that we are essentially agreeing on.

I never accused you of advocating lying. Never ever did I state that anywhere in my post. As a matter of fact, I clearly read the part in your original post where you said "I am not saying to lie ..." It was not necessary to highlight it in super big red text.

What I did was to state why *I* like the total honesty approach. I said I liked it because:

a) I personally have discomfort with telling lies. (If it were me in that situation)

and

b) I think it could be a better tactic for TCV given that she's in an area where the backlash for getting caught could be worse than having told the full story to start with.

Where you and I got onto a sticking point is that you misunderstood what I was refering to when I responded to your post.

- I posted my suggestion regarding the total honesty approach.

- You replied saying that you disagree with that approach.

- I replied stating the reasons why I prefer that approach.

- Then, even though the reasons why I prefer it are not related to the suggestions you gave TCV, you read my post to mean otherwise.

In other words, my description of why I like the total honesty approach was a response to the discussion regarding the merit of the approach, not a response the merit of what you suggested as your own solution.

Crumbs, I don't know if anyone will be able to follow that, but at least I know what I'm trying to say.

You did not say that TCV should lie her way out of everything. I didn't either. We are agreed there. Of course, I can see how one might interperet what I said in a way different than what I intended.

Saying "I don't like lying" and saying "Don't mention it if they don't ask" are two totally different things.

I am not in the business of starting fights with people. Please forgive me for causing you offense. I never intended to somehow make you out to be some big supporter of lying.

.....Kelly

(it only seems to happen in this forum.....)