View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I felt that the pink sequin thread had a southern ring about it, or at least a sorority recruitment that is/was southern as we think of southern rush. For some reason I thought Ok.U(competitive rush) and University of Tulsa. Maybe it was because Callie was from an adjacent state and her family had a big ranch.
Well, I went to OU then transferred to TU.
I looked at the # of sororities at each school, from her description, and it adds up. I also know women who went to both universities about the time of her (supposed) recruitment and know from my own experience.

I think I can crack the code! (Or, at least, I'll try.)
So, I'll go back to the story and read it with new eyes.
(This will take some time, so remember: Patience is a Virtue.)

In post #18 (from the original thread), TU was more of a commuter school & the visionary president at the smaller school was Pascal Twyman. He was awesome, very charismatic, mingled with the students (I got to have breakfast with "the President" my first year) & did great things for the university. I could call the President's office and he would take my call! He even got Germaine Greer to be a Visiting Professor in Women's Studies for a year! The reason the TU campus has expanded to 2x the size since the 1980's is due to Pascal Twyman.

When he passed at age 55 from cancer, past/current students & staff cried. President Twyman was well-respected and loved.

Now, to solve some mysteries ... hopefully.

Our Pink Sequined girl listed 6 sororities, which TU has 6: Chi O, Tri Delta, KD, Kappa, DG, Theta. This is each chapter's location on Sorority Row, starting with closest to campus (which may help with sluething).

She lists the sororities on her campus as 11, which matches with OU: AXO, AGD, APhi, XO, DDD, DG, GPhiB, Theta, Kappa, Pi Phi, and depending when she went thru Recruitment, the 11th chapter would be either ZTA or AOPi. [updated, as I figured out KD chapter closed at OU]

So 5 of 6 chapters at TU have chapters at OU. BUT, OU's recruitment and bid day are usually prior to TU's dates. Maybe there was a change the year she went through recruitment.

Now, I have to say, the Greek atmosphere at Tulsa is NOT one where if your sister got a bid at another university while you were going thru recruitment, that the other houses would not ask you back. (But since she said it was the other way around -- her sister pledged at TU and she was still in recruitment at OU -- possibly, but not likely.)

Last edited by ChioLu; 08-05-2014 at 06:51 PM.