View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I cannot tell you how many times the chapter I used to advise would say, "Oh, I wish I had been hazed!"

IMHO, when we lumped having to have pledge books signed and maybe a scavenger hunt into the same category as being forced into alcohol abuse and pledge line ups, the baby was thrown out with the bathwater. I think that blurring that line has done much more harm than good.
Getting kinda nostalgic here, but thinking back, there was not one thing I recall doing as a pledge that was NOT hazing. Even memorization of the creed, the founders names and the Greek alphabet were in some way turned into hazing activity. And pledge books? Don't get me started on what we did to them - hint, at the end of pledging all books were gathered up by the pledge trainer and burned. Our (and I would guess most fraternity) scavenger hunts were far from innocent affairs.

Certainly agree that there is a blurred line between innocent fun and people dying, but I would never trust a 20 year-old's judgment on this.

Edit: What I mean is I would not trust a 20 year-old's judgment to decide on what is innocent fun and what is hazing.

Last edited by PhilTau; 11-22-2017 at 03:09 PM.