Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I was as pretty as most of the girls. I wore pretty natural but also what I thought was really pretty makeup, but my hair is much shorter than most of the girls. I felt that most of the houses I had conversations with on the first days were very relaxed and conversational. It seemed like the other girls were enjoying the conversation too. I didn't get asked back to the houses where I thought that the conversation went well. My outfits were pretty similar. I tried to be myself the entire time. I was at a community college and still had treatments, so I didn't have as much time. But I did participate in two extracurricular activities and one had a huge leadership component at a national level. I didn't really have any collegiate volunteer hours last year as my time was limited. I felt that that would be understood. All of my credits transferred. My GPA didn't come over. But that's a university policy. I didn't have letters because I didn't know people in those sororities. Can the people who write them be actives at other schools? Or do they have to be alumni? 5 of my letters were people I had known for many years. One was even from an aunt. I'll try to find the missing letters. I turned 20 about a month ago. I didn't take anytime off of college. Do chapters retain the letters? I'm also starting to get involved in more campus organizations. One is a religious organization though and I don't think I should bring it up? I don't know. I'm only in three clubs right now, since I'm in a STEM major and am busy, is three enough? Also, I'll definitely have a GPA at this school by spring recruitment, but I don't know about COB, will that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
It is the maximum # YOU have to attend, not the maximum POTENTIAL you might attend. It doesn't matter if the campus maximum for pref was 3, your max for pref was 1, because that was your only invitation. Had you attended and signed the MRABA, you would have had a bid. That is how it works. PNMs who maximize their options means PNMs who attend all the parties they have invitations to each round.

Disregard the cancer component for a minute and take a good, strong look at you as a PNM. How did you compare with PNMs you met during rush? Were you as friendly? Outgoing? Relaxed? Conversational?Did your outfits look similar to what the other PNMs were wearing? Were you yourself, or someone you thought the sororities were looking for?

How did your resume' stack up? were you able to participate in clubs at your former college? How about leadership positions? At this point HS activities are a moot point-you need college activities. Did you have collegiate volunteer hours? HS volunteer hours don't count anymore.

Why did you not have recs to all the sororities? Could you not find alumnae to write them? Were you not interested in them because you didn't want to join those 4? Do you think you could find the missing recs before COB activities? Some sororities require a recommendation for each new member before she is pledged. It has nothing to do with what is on the Campus Panhellenic webpage-it is a requirement of these national organizations.

Did you have to take some time off from college for treatment and recovery? Are you older than the average PNM? Even a couple of years can make a difference. i.e., average sophomore PNM is 19. If you are 22 as a sophomore that could be a problem.

Were all your credits accepted by your new college? Some colleges accept hours, but don't list a GPA until you have earned one at the present institution. If the records the sororities saw did not display a Present Day University GPA that might have hurt you.

Titchou means were your recs from people who have known you intimately for (at least) several years, or were they the "generic" ones a PNM might get from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Last edited by pnm092802; 09-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.