View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref night

Drolefille, you summed it up perfectly!

So, Roomie and I had to get ready for our pref parties. I didn't keep a journal during recruitment so many details are hazy, but I recall exactly what my pref dress looked like. I was very proud of it...a georgeous cotton jersey dress with an empire waist and low, round neckline. The sleeves were loose and flowing, and it was in shades of light blue and white...not quite tie-dyed but very pretty. Add cute sandals and simple jewelry. I think I would still like this outfit today (and not cringe at the memory of some of the stuff that we all wore back then).

Pref parties were held in the back yards of prominant local alumnae. Again, we were driven to the parties by alumnae of the party that we were attending. I don't think there was much conversation going on...we were all too nervous.

I went to Dogwood's party first. The garden was lovely, and Dogwood's beautiful flower was featured. The Dogwood president preffed me the whole party. She told me how she could see me as a leader in Dogwood and thought I would be their president in a year. She stressed all of the positives that Dogwood had to offer. I admit, it was quite flattering for my wounded ego. But, I didn't feel anything. Where was that "you'll know where you belong?" Had I missed my chance of feeling that? I left the party with a Dogwood flower, napkin, and a letter from the president(those were the days when you could do such things).

Next I went to Magnolia's party. I did not see Roomie there, so she must have gone to Magnolia first and then finished with Crepe Myrtle. Again, a beautiful back garden with a fountain and white iron lawn furniture placed strategically throughout the large back yard. I recognized a few other rushees that I had met during the week, but did not know any of them very well. I was seated with my first Magnolia and given a cup of punch. I looked at all of the other Magnolias standing around, saw the love in their faces...and click! My broken heart was healed. My rusher (and I well remember who she was) started to talk, saying "I'm so nervous because I really want you to know how much I want you as my sister and I'm searching to find the right words." I looked straight back at her, smiled, and said "You've already said the right words. I want to be a Magnolia." (I am aware that I have used the word "really" too much...but I really, really did want to be a Magnolia). She broke into a smile, and we just talked like old friends. Then they had a beautiful ceremony. My second Magnolia came to talk to me, and had heard what I told my first rusher. She didn't want to take it for granted, so she continued to tell me why I should be a Magnolia (good girl...never give up!). I left the party with a Magnolia flower, napkin, and little white box tied with Magnolia colored ribbon in which was a petit four for us to "make a wish and put it under your pillow for good luck." (I am sure that this is not spelled correctly but am trying to get this out quickly..sorry!).

Back on campus we were repeatedly told not to talk to anyone and led into a room to sign our bid cards. Instructed to rank our #1 followed by our #2 choice, we were also told that if we had multiple choices and only ranked one sorority, there could be dire consequences. I was probably one of the first to fill out and sign my bid card. It read #1 Magnolia #2 Magnolia. Yes, I suicided Magnolia.

As I left the classroom, I turned and looked at Roomie. She was just sitting there staring at her card.