View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a really interesting petition and am surprised this is the first I'm hearing of it. I attend a college in Atlanta with a chapter of AST. I knew convention was coming up and is in Atlanta, but didn't know it was being protested (I use that word very loosely).

I would imagine that moving a national convention this late in the game is a HUGE hoop to jump through. I will say that Atlanta prosecutors have agreed to ignore the Heartbeat bill. Most people don't realize that Atlanta is a very blue dot in an ocean of red.

Maybe there is a compromise to be reached? Perhaps adding a panel on legislation and women's health (which goes hand-in-hand with the Women's Wellness Initiative)?

As a very prochoice women, I understand the want to host your convention elsewhere, but I think it is important to consider that the women suffering from this law didn't ask for it. Taking your convention elsewhere is - in a way - denying support to your Atlanta-based sisters as much as it is condemning the bill.