View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 11:50 AM

A really tragic thing. Our most sincere thoughts go out to ATO and the entire campus.

I can't agree strongly enough with ISUKappa about the importance of fire drills.

Another thing is having a plan. I recall a fire at the Beta house at my Alma Mater (Ohio U.) last year. By the time the fire department arrived, not only had everyone been evacuated, but they had taken a roll call and could account for everyone who was in the house. http://thepost.baker.ohiou.edu/archi...010602/n5.html

Fire is a real danger to Greek housing. Many times in the past, emergency exits have been blocked, smoke alarms have been deactivated and other rules broken. In addition, things like candles, hot lights, hotplates, etc. are in common use. It is also important to be sure electrical outlets aren't overloaded with electronics, refridgerators, etc. Smoking can be another huge problem.

Finally, while it can be expensive, sprinkler systems can save lives. At our international conference last month, a fire official from Florida offered a lot of tips on the kind to install and how to save money on the installation.

Please be sure this kind of thing doesn't happen to your chapter. Be smart and be safe.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 08-27-2004 at 12:16 PM.