View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Are you an initiated member? I guess I'm not understanding why/how the other chapter could have you "pledge" again if you're already initiated? That's a good question to ask your national HQ about the process. Only initiated members are completely beholden to their fraternity or sorority. If you are initiated, it seems like the only options for that chapter are to affiliate you, or turn you down for affiliation.

If your friends in that chapter are discouraging you, I think you're right to be worried. Sounds like they're giving you tough, but honest, advice.

I transferred and affiliated myself, and it is a weird process to have to get voted in by the new chapter. I was going to advise you to make contact early with the chapter leadership and put your best foot forward, but your friends' opinions are making me think you may need to decide between transferring and the active, collegiate fraternity experience.

The rules are the rules and there aren't any exceptions for certain situations. Since you know brothers at the new school, there's no way you could fly under the radar and try to rush another fraternity. The word will be out, and then you'll really be persona non grata.

If you're not initiated, then you can rush again.
I am an initiated member. My friends told me that the chapter gets a lot of transfers each year and the guys are frustrated because of it. They want people to go through the pledge process. I am considering re-pledging but their chapter has an extremely hard pledge process so I'm worried that my grades will suffer tremendously.