View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

A Sophomore Recruitment Story...Rush take 2 :)

Okay, so I went through rush as a freshman and ended up declining the bid I got...I know that sounds shallow, but the girls had a terrible reputation on campus and I felt like every conversation there was forced. I came to the conclusion that I was having an off week, and a lot of my unsuccessful recruitment was due to some bad stuff going on at home, yadayada.....

So. I met a ton of greek girls my freshman year, and they all encouraged me to go through recruitment again as a sophomore! So, here's my story!!

I go to a medium-sized state school in the south where greek life is a big deal! (Granted it's not Ole Miss, but we had almost 500 girls going through recruitment.) The chapters at my school are:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Kappa Delta
Phi Mu
Sigma Kappa

I decided to name them after soda flavors!
Dr. Pepper
Sprite
Coke
Diet Coke
Pepsi
Ginger Ale
Mello Yello
Root Beer

Night One: Greek Orientation. Because I went through recruitment last year, this night was basically a rehash of last time, with a new video and a new Pi Chi group!

Night Two: Our Pi Chi group met up and wore cute t-shirts and shorts to visit all 8 of the chapters! Here were my thoughts:

Dr. Pepper - I talked to a girl who also rushed as a sophomore. It was super loud in this chapter room, but I liked it. I hadn't really met any girls from this chapter around campus throughout the semester though, so I had no idea how to take them.

Sprite - The girl I met from this chapter had a hard time keeping conversation with me...this chapter is a bit notorious for that.

Coke - I ended up getting paired with a girl from my major whom I absolutely LOVE. She is so much fun. We had a great conversation and I hoped to go back.

Diet Coke - This chapter has a great reputation on campus. The girls I talked to seemed really chill and both rushed as sophomores. So cute. I was impressed! Hope to return!

Pepsi - I am not a fan of this chapter at all...I was paired up with a girl from my floor last year who I rarely saw, and when I did she just didn't bother to talk to me. It felt a little forced.

Mello Yello - Every girl at this chapter seems so REAL. They're sweet and I would be honored to be a member.

Ginger Ale - This sorority is relatively new at my campus, and I was quite impressed with the way they handled recruitment. Sweet girls!

Root Beer - I was paired up in a 2-on-3 situation in which I was in a group with 2 other rushees. I hated this! I never got a chance to talk, and all the freshmen next to me could talk about was orientation week...I hoped I would like this chapter because I have a really good friend here.

I ranked these as my top choices for the evening!
Root Beer,
Ginger Ale,
Mello Yello,
Coke,
Diet Coke,
Dr. Pepper.

Day 3: I was pleased to find out I was asked back to 6 chapters! Unfortunately, my 2 bottom choices were both on my schedule, as Coke and Root Beer both cut me. No big deal.

My Schedule for Day 3:
Diet Coke - I LOVED this chapter today. The girls were so sweet and genuine. I want to go back!!!

Mello Yello - I could definitely see myself here. The only problem is that I only talked to girls I already knew in the chapter, so it was hard to find out how the rest of the girls were.

Dr. Pepper - Alright. I can tell this isn't my place though. I'll keep them on the list unless they drop me.

Sprite - I'm paired up with girls I already know for these parties. They are sweet but I can not see myself here, as the girls I know are pretty wild...and I am not..

Pepsi - Nope. Not happening.

Ginger Ale - So sweet and genuine!! I loved these girls!

Day 4: - Theme

I was asked back to 3 of my top 4 sororities for today!

Ginger Ale - So sweet. I could see myself here...

Diet Coke -I could definitely see myself here also! Such talkative, vibrant girls with big hearts.

Mello Yello - Their skit...eh. The girls I talked to...so great.

Sprite - Why was I the one leading the conversation....? Ugh.

I listed my top two for preference as:
Diet Coke
Mello Yello

Day 4: Preference!!

I got my top two choices for pref day. I loved both of them, and was so excited to go back!!

Diet Coke - I didn't cry at this pref party. The stories and songs shared were sweet, but it felt too good to be true for me to be there so I couldn't cry!

Mello Yello - I really liked the girl I talked to at this chapter. She was so genuine, but also the only one I talked to the entire time. She made me tear up a bit.

PREFERENCE CARD TIME!!!

I went ahead and listed Diet Coke as my first choice...I have no idea why. They have just been a great house the whole time. I would be ecstatic at either one on bid day though! Mello Yello was great. I could see myself here.

I was genuinely torn. I went and called my mom after I signed my bid card.o I had always wanted to be in Diet Coke, but the girls in Mello Yello said they really wanted me. Bid day is tomorrow, and I had a breakdown over thinking I had made the wrong choice. A lot of my friends went with Diet Coke, and I know I would have a great pledge class if I went there, but I would feel terrible if the girls at Mello Yello didn't see me tomorrow...they were telling me about their bid day shirts.......I talked to a recruitment counselor after I signed my bid card, and she said that it could not be changed and that I should just be happy with my decision. I made it for a reason and she said that whatever God's will is, will happen. I really hope that I made the right decision. I've debated with myself all afternoon and cried and cried because I was so upset over the decision. We'll see how bid day goes tomorrow! The energy will be high at either place and I can't wait to see who my new sisters are tomorrow, either way.