View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter's reluctance to automatically accept transfers is understandable. It is also understandable how an initiated transfer student may be reluctant to transfer his active membership to another chapter.

New chapter's viewpoint: We don't know this guy. vs. He (and a bunch of other transfers) are wearing our letters all over campus and we can't do anything about it because they are in fact members. vs. He will pay dues.

Transferee viewpoint: I'm a member. vs. The dues are high and I don't really know anyone. It's just not the same as my old school.

I do recall one transfer member while I was an active. He was an active when I pledged. While pledging, I saw no difference in status because he was an active and I was a pledge. Though, after I became active, I once heard a comment about him being a transfer. This individual was WELL LIKED BY ALL. He was an active member when I joined and remained active after I graduated.

Transfers likely have a better experience if their new chapter is small. If the chapter has over 50 actives, it may be harder to break in to the group. This may be a rationale for requiring each transfer have at least some common experiences with a pledge class -- though I do not advocate for this approach.