View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
So I am 26 years old and have decided to go back to college for another degree. Needless to say, my undergrad social experience in college was hell. I never knew what a fraternity was and going to an SEC school this severely limited my social life in many many ways. It could have changed my life permanently and for the best if I was in a fraternity but due to many complications I could not rush.

For one I came to the US from another country at the age of 11 and went to an inner city high school, didn't even know what a fraternity or greek life was. Another thing is I had a lot of AP credits entering college so I was able to graduate in 3 years, financially amazing but socially terrible.

I have decided to go back to college for another degree (Arizona St) and was wondering if rushing a fraternity is even possible. As weird as it sounds I have always wanted that experience of being in a fraternity and having a brotherhood since I never really had a chance for that (half of the people from my graduating class in high school are in jail). Money is not a problem for me because I managed to get into a high paying job but I do want the kind of brotherhood that comes with being in a fraternity since in the real world it is impossible to find.

The reason I am going back to college is to get an arts degree because I have always wanted to pursue that field, for some reason it has been my passion but due to career prospects I went the STEM way.
It may be possible as in general, some fraternities may allow bids to be extended to graduates. However, I suspect the majority of chapters (nationally and at Arizona State) are not likely to do so. Also, the majority of most chapters are made up of 18 to 22 year olds, so you being 26 could be an issue with some (perhaps most) chapters. You mentioned you didn’t rush at your first undergraduate college due to “many complications”. I would also venture to guess that you should be prepared to explain what the “complications” were as to why you didn’t rush at your first campus.

If you have any friends that attend or have attended Arizona State, you may want to contact them (or maybe the Arizona State Greek Life office) and ask them about “older students” joining fraternities. If it seems like older students do, then it may not be that much of an issue. But if that seems out of the norm, you are certainly welcome to try, but know that you are not likely to receive a bid.

Best of luck.