View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
With the exception of Delta Upsilon, Ritual is considered private and not disclosed to non-members.
There are some other exceptions. Alpha Kappa Lambda also has an open ritual. And many orgs have some open rituals -- that is, while initiation and chapter meeting rituals or the like are secret, other rituals such as pledging or memorial services may not be.

Silmanarmo, you can find Delta Upsilon's ritual book on the web here. You might also find the essay "Secret Thoughts of a Ritual" helpful.

Also, some years ago someone did a master's thesis comparing fraternity rituals and the components that are common to them. There used to be info about that on the web -- if I can find any of that, I'll pass it along.

And, yeah, especially since you've told us where you are, the "not very nice" comment is, well, not very nice.

ETA: The dissertation (not thesis) I was talking about was written by Bobby McGinn in 1979. When I tracked that down and googled it, low and behold one of the first hits on Google was this GC thread, where it, Mari Ann Callais' dissertation, and a great Lambda Chi resource on ritual were discussed. (The link to Callais' dissertation in the first post is not longer good, but the dissertation can now be found here.)

Last edited by MysticCat; 05-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.