Thread: Her badge
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
In the 80s, the cost of our badge was embedded in our initiation fee and it was compulsory. Today, sadly, it is an option. New members are initiated with their big sister's badges and given an order form to get their own. This takes time and some young women with financial difficulties never place that order, and therefore never own a badge. I don't know when this change took place but it saddens me when a young women tells me that she does not own a badge due to the cost. The most basic option is under $40. With the expense of membership, I strongly preferred the days that it was embedded into the initiation fees and every sister had one.
Just thought I'd point out that some fraternities have the same issues. I was an active at a large state university. Our members were from all types of families and from all walks of life and all social-economic backgrounds. Some of our members simply could not afford to buy a pin. As an active, I never even saw an active badge of my fraternity. And we were not offered one to buy, though I suspect some members did have them but never wore them. This local "tradition" had been well established long before I arrived.