View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to live in the UK. I was initially there on a student visa to complete my postgraduate studies. After my student visa was up, I looked into going back on a work visa. I had been in an 8-year relationship with an Englishman and, at the time, getting married, doing another degree or having a work visa were our options for me legally remaining in the UK long-term.

I found it very difficult to obtain a job as the rules were very strict back then (appx 2005). As Sassmofi explained, the employer needs to be able to convincingly articulate why a British citizen cannot fill the job. The UK government did have a reduced requirements list for some international hires - but those were for jobs in areas of great need such as technology, medicine and engineering (not my fields).

I did find a *perfect* job in London that was as an international/American student adviser for UCLA at a satellite office in London. The requirements were that the applicant have a strong background in academic advising (check), knowledge of the American/California university system (check and check) and also international student experience (check). I applied and they were very interested in me.....but then they got all hung up on the fact that they were going to have to petition the government for permission to hire me. So, it ended up being a no-go. I ended up not ever moving back as there was no justification for it and marriage wasn't on the horizon.

If the UK is in desperate need of primary school teachers, then you might be in with a shout. Sassmofi gave an excellent run down. Good luck!

True and Constant