View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
^^ That's what we would do with individuals, except we would use chapter designation (without school or with school in parentheses) and year of initiation, not graduation. E.g., Andy Griffith, Alpha Rho 1946.

But that's different from what the OP described and from what 33girl reacted to. They're not talking about describing an individual after he or she graduates; they're talking about a designation for a pledge/new member class -- specifically, designating the class by the year its members will graduate (which assumes they are all the same year and will graduate at the same time). In other words, this fall's pledge/new member class would be referred to as the pledge/new member class of 2015. That presumes all members of the class are freshman and will graduate in four years.

We don't have a standard for that. In my experience, most of our chapters will either designate probationary member classes by the season and year of pledging (e.g., the Spring 2012 class) or by Greek letters (e.g., the Gamma PM class, meaning the third in the chapter's history).
I get what you are saying. My bad.

When Kappakeys said the following …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappakeys View Post
Yeah sorry hahaha it depends on the year your pledge class graduates so like my pledge mom is a 14 cause she graduates in 2014, my bad
… I passed right over the "pledge class" reference and took that to mean her personal designation is “Kappakeys 15” versus the "15" being associated with her pledge class.

In some cases, pledges and initiated members are described by (lumped by) their (anticipated) graduation year – even during their undergraduate years. So “14s” would simply be another way of saying “sophomores”. Which is what I thought she meant with respect to her pledge mom.