Thread: New Member 101
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I cosign on all of the above things, but in my experience there are two issues that I've noticed with new members:

1) Respect. Please respect yourself and your chapter. It may seem fun and cute to make out with a guy from XY fraternity and spend the night at the guy's house following the ______(insert theme name here) Party, but all it does is make you look like a big ho. If you don't want your house to be known as the slutty girls/alcoholics, do not make a habit of hooking up with guys while you're wasted at parties. I knew a girl who was "that girl" and her membership in her chapter ended when she decided to write a fraternity's name across her breasts and let the guys take a picture for a rush poster. It can be a slippery slope ladies…

2) Drama. There are going to people you don't like in your chapter. I absolutely guarantee it. However, gossiping and forming "alliances" makes things worse. You do not want to be in a chapter that is divided. It's not fun and you will NOT be successful on campus if you are a chapter that is imploding. This is often the beginning of the end for chapters that close. If you see factions/cliques developing into a situation please talk to your advisors/officers/national HQ and address the issue before it gets out of control.