View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
If you've not read the petition page (link included here), there are many comments that reflect the OP's mindset..."why shouldn't we be allowed to re-rush", "it's not fair that I got into a house I don't like," "I changed schools and my sorority isn't here", etc. https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/npc-time-to-change

You don't have to work in education as FSUZeta does or in behavioral health as I do to see the mindset that drives this thinking. To be clear, I know many college kids and 20-somethings with a grounded sense of life, a terrific work ethic and an ability to make things work. However, what is disturbing to me is the trend of the mindset in the OP's writing, including how they view even therapy, the field in which I work...I recently talked to some therapists who work primarily with this age group and I asked what differences they saw in this group from people in their 30's and up. Here's what they said:

"This population looks at therapy and the therapist as a service provider...meaning they expect me (the therapist) to do the work, like ordering something online and the company delivers in within a few days. They get upset if they don't see change after 6 sessions, have no ability to be with uncomfortable feelings and don't seem to grasp what it takes to do hard work." (hence many that jump jobs every six months because "I'm not happy", "Management doesn't listen to me", "I should have gotten a promotion already").

I agree with FSUZeta about how they've been raised so it's no wonder they think their dream life should simply be 'delivered' to them without putting in the work and that the rules don't apply - after all Mom or Dad badgered the teacher to change their grade or some other situation where they (parents) forced the change. Again, I know many parents and kids who don't fit this profile, but so many that do and boy is it obvious on the petition.

Lord help us!
I guess I just don't understand the feeling that they were stuck. If they were truly that unhappy during their new member period, they could have dropped. No one forced them into initiation. The same goes for the OP.

What's truly upsetting is the line "the rules weren't explained to me" in its many shapes and forms. In other words, these young women thought they'd be able to go through initiation and drop out whenever they damn well pleased in order to join another. There was no commitment from them up front.

Of course, these are the very women we'd want to avoid having jump from organization to organization.

@~/~~~~