Thread: Bad Gifts
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 05:17 PM

hahaha this thread is too funny!

- As an engagement gift, we got a chip-and-dip bowl, a regular bowl, and some mugs in an absolutely HIDEOUS tulip pattern. It may not have been cheap, but it looked cheap.

- As a wedding gift (from Mr. aephi alum's cheap-@$$ cousins) we got one of those 3-tier petits fours serving things (what are they called...) This was an obvious re-gift - the boxes were pretty beat up and had been gift-wrapped at least once before (you could see where tape had been used to attach the previous gift wrap to the box). It couldn't have even set the original giver back by more than $20 or so.

- We have this ridiculous ceramic teapot (I think it was a housewarming gift) that is made up to look like a table set for the Jewish Sabbath dinner on Friday night (candles, wine, bread). We would like to re-gift it, but we're having trouble finding someone who (a) is Jewish and (b) will forgive us

- When I was a preteen/teen, my great-aunt would give me these baggy sweatshirts because "I know that's what all the young folks are wearing these days." It was (mid 80's) but just because everyone else was wearing them didn't mean I wanted to!

- When my husband had his bar mitzvah, the aforementioned cheap-@$$ cousins gave him a dictionary as a gift. Not even a good one - this dictionary was missing enough of its pages to cover about 3 letters of the alphabet. Said cousin's son is going to become a bar mitzvah in a few weeks... I suggested to Mr. aephi alum that he give the dictionary back.