Thread: I Don't Get AI
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I disagree about the majority of alumnae activity centering around volunteering for collegiate chapters. I think more women are members of their alumnae chapters than are members of their local collegiate advisory panels. That's just all you see as a collegiate member.
I agree with that. It is a completely different world then collegiate membership. We don't have an active collegiate chapter in our city and the one that we adopted is at least 4 hours away. That collegiate chapter does have an advisory board and certainly none of those women are members of our alumnae chapter. Alumnae Chapters have activities and goals to meet the needs of their members. If it involves being more hands on with a collegiate chapter, fine. If it involves minimal involvement with a collegiate chapter, fine.

So, no, AI is not a vehicle to try and relive old college days. However, it can be a way for a member to reach out to that "sister without a badge" who shares the organization's values, ideals, and goals. I would never advocate throwing out a sign-up sheet in front of Wal-Mart, but if it is a woman who has demonstrated her faithfulness, it can be a great thing. One of AOII's International Presidents is an AI and we do have many more who have faithfully served the Fraternity and still do. Are they overflowing our ranks? Nope and never will. It is a special honor for a select few.