View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Banned

I'm not familiar with the honorgal username but I don't think the person is trolling. This is one of many complex issues that spark discussion, debate, and emotions on both sides.

It goes back to what some of us said in the beginning of this thread: the investigation should be handled correctly by the school and law enforcement for the alleged victim and the alleged perpetrator. It is all alleged until proven otherwise. Alleged physical acts against women and children are the few times people say "you're guilty because I said so 2 seconds ago" and I'm not okay with that. That is partly rooted in protecting victims and mostly rooted in societal views towards women and children. But when it comes to women who, unlike children, are legal adults, it is not unreasonable to process these alleged incidents without instantly demonizing the alleged victim or alleged perpetrator. Automatically believing a woman who claims sexual assault or rape is the opposite extreme of automatically discrediting her. Both sides are arguably rooted in aspects of gender inequality, patriarchy, and sexism. There is a more reasonable and realistic middle ground that neither equates (girlhood or) womanhood with victim nor liar.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-23-2014 at 07:20 AM.