View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies! Yes, to clarify I suppose I mean "public" university, not STATE university. This school has a student body of about 13,000 - so not huge but not tiny either. Upon further research, I've discovered that there are actually five chapters on this campus. As for location, I'm not technically considered "Deep South," but close enough to the border of another state that we might as well be! The big schools in my state are known for having competitive recruitments.

I've been looking on the websites and social media platforms to look at photos and get a feel for the girls. Yes, I have seen a LOT of diversity, which is awesome! There are women of color in every chapter and many that don't seem to fit the typical sorority girl "look." If there truly is such a thing, I feel like I look more like your typical sorority girl than many of the girls I've seen in photos. As for my age ... I just turned 25. I'll graduate at 27 if all goes according to plan. However, I do not and have not ever "looked" my age. People will ask and seem utterly shocked when I tell them and exclaim that they were SURE I was in the 20-21 range and can't quite believe my actual age. Which is great for me in a lot of ways I guess! So as far as "looking the part" and fitting in with the sisters if I were to receive a bid, I'm honestly not worried about that. And I know many people caution older PNMs about Greek life and ask that they consider the parties and social atmosphere and whether that is an atmosphere they could see themselves in/whether they are in different stages of life, etc .... and I'm totally great with that part too. Like I said in my OP, because of my health issues and family situation, I honestly didn't get to "experience" college like most kids do right out of HS. I've never been a huge partier when it comes to drinking but I definitely love to have a good time and this part of Greek life is appealing to me. In fact, ALL parts are appealing to me.

There are no houses on campus, just dorm floors and suites I think. I would be living off campus about 2 minutes away in my own apartment. Maybe this is worth mentioning too - one of the chapters is a new colony and is participating in formal for the first time this fall. This is also one of the chapters to which I have a rec.