View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by SH80er
I knew if I had to support myself and do college I would end up with an ulcer or in a mental institution.

I mean, Kudos to who can pull it off. But, isn't it a rather extreme measure? Particularly to those who do it voluntarily.
You wouldn't end up with an ulcer or in a mental institution. That's just what you think because you're not doing it. I look at it like this. College is about WAY more than what you get in your classes. It's also about the LIFE experiences that you have. College is supposed to "prepare" you for LIFE. And life is HARD!! So what better time to get the practice of being on your own than in college. Was it hard for me? Yep. I have a GRIP of student loans, and I STILL had to work 2 or 3 part time jobs at a time. I went to school away from home (only 3 hours). Not to mention, both of my parents passed away while I was in school. So, I didn't have a choice but to learn how to support myself. Was I stressed? Yep. Did I get a healthy amount of sleep? Nope. Do I think it's extreme? Nope. My philosophy, you do what you gotta do. I did what I had to do. Do I regret any of it? Nope, not one little bit. Those experiences made me who I am today, and I'm thankful for them. I cried MANY, MANY a night. It took me 5 years. But I did it. And studied abroad, too! I'm proud of myself, and I think my parents would be proud, too. To this day, it's my most important accomplishment.

The thing of it is, everyone can hack it, if you HAD to. But if you don't have to, DON'T!!! I don't want my kids to go through what I went through. I hate these loans hanging over my head, but they were worth it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are probably a lot of things that you don't think you can do. But I'm a living testimony!!!