View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 PM

Recruitment Disappointment and Instagram/FB/Snapchat - Advice

So you did not get your first choice and you come in here super sad a week later wondering if you should depledge.

My advice: UNPLUG from social media and see if you still feel the same in 2 weeks.

Some history, for the young folk. I was active circa 2004. FB was in its infancy.

If you got a bid to your second or third choice, and you were salty about it, you only got that "fear of missing out" re: your strong chapter fave at an event. Like if you saw them at Greek Week, or they won Songfest and you were there and you got third. Or at actual bid day. So if you got Chi O and really wanted Kappa, you really only were like "omg love Kappaaaaaa" when you saw them out.

Then FB came on the scene. Then the fear of missing out and wanting another chapter was available to you all the time. All the Kappas post pics of Thursday night, and you could log on at anytime, see it in your feed, and boom, "omgg whyyyy am I not a Kappa!" and cue sadness.

Now we have that AND Instagram, Snapchat, etc. So if you really wanted Kappa, you are never far from that crummy feeling. Kappas do not just post pics. Now they post Snap/IG live stories of that awesome date party. So you somehow feel crummier.

These things are not bad and Kappa is not bad for posting it. But it will not help you to feel better about where you are.

Tip: take a day or two to unplug. It is hard. Hard for me and I'm 32. But your perspective changes when you are not exposing yourself to all things first choice group all the time.

Best of luck to you!

Lakers Nation.