View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
I need some clarification-- Is it true that the houses that participate in Sorority life and Fraternity life add a letter to their name so they aren't recognized? I heard that it is really Sigma Chi in fraternity life and not Sigma Chi Omega.
also why is DZO-- called Delta XI Omega? DZ is pronounced Delta Zeta so why isn't the Z pronounced Zeta in DZO?
No. Sigma Chi Omega was/is an interest group for Sigma Chi (meaning the members formed it with the purpose of wanting to become a Sigma Chi colony) but is not, as of this point, affiliated with Sigma Chi in any way -- and probably won't ever be, after this show. Both of the groups are local groups, and as far as I know, always have been.

The Greek alphabet is not a letter-for-letter translation of the English alphabet, obviously, so the Greek letter "Xi" is alternately nicknamed "Z" or "X" when English letters are used to symbolize it. For example, the NPC sorority Alpha Xi Delta is often referred to as "AZD" or "AXD." Also, "Xi" can be pronounced a number of ways -- "zy," "zee" and "k-zee" all being acceptable.