View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

DAY TWO

Day two, DD2 is able to text me and tell me she has a full schedule! Volleyball, Softball, Swimming and Basketball. Our conversation went something like this:

DD2: I didn’t get asked back to Track and Field or Soccer! She was a little disappointed. Not terribly, just somewhat.
I point out that she still had her top 3 on her list and that she had an opportunity to give Basketball another chance. And that she had a full schedule!
She says, “That’s true…” I point out that she couldn’t really decide about Track and Field or Soccer and that while she liked them a lot, she really liked the other three more. She agreed and said she was feeling better, but that getting dropped just stings a little even though they weren’t her top choices. I explained that of course it only takes one and she laughed. “I know, I know.” She wanted to be asked back to Soccer because they are the house with the top GPA. We discussed that. While academics are important to her, she already has exceptional grades and the reason she wanted to go greek is for the sisterhood and social aspect. Those were the things she had been missing in her college experience thus far. Plus all the houses have great grades comparatively. She said that she knew that they have to narrow it down somehow. She understood the cuts process and how it helped her narrow her choices down too. Of course she was happy to have her top three choices for day two and have one more look at Basketball. That little blip over, she was happily waiting to go to day two parties.

DD2 decided to straighten her hair for this round. She sent a photo of herself in her cute skirt with the t-shirt with Sperry tennis shoes.

First up was Swimming. She loved them again today and learned more about their philanthropy and sisterhood. Talked to a few different women and had a wonderful time. Felt like she could see herself there. Her favorite stroke was always Butterfly and she wanted to touch the wall first!

On to Volleyball where she fell even more in love. “Mom, these can be my people. They are so much like me!” She likes their colors and talks to three women she really connects with. They were happy to have her back and she really enjoyed herself. Thinks she could absolutely hit the ball out and one of these women would be there to save it for her. She sees some potential really great friends and wants to keep practicing her serve and outside hitting. Really wants to make this team.

Basketball. She wants to like them but just can’t see it. Conversation doesn’t flow at all and she doesn’t feel comfortable or see herself shooting free throws at practice. Not for her.

Lastly, Softball. Again, she is greeted by people she knows and just LOVES Softball! This is a group of diverse women, some great hitters and base stealing runners. She says these women have the potential to bring her out of her comfort zone occasionally and she likes that idea. She likes their philanthropy too. She knows that she would fit into the lineup and can totally see herself in their uniform. Feels like it’s a homerun.

She grabs her phone and runs out to call me before ranking. She loves Softball and Volleyball so much, but really loves Swimming too. We discuss that her top two are Softball and Volleyball and she decides that while Swimming is great, she’s not sure she wants to get back into her suit and cap on the daily. She decides that she wants to stay on the court or the field with Softball or Volleyball. She ranks
1 Softball
1 Volleyball
2 Swimming
3 Basketball

That decision made, she goes to relax and do some studying. She will know who she will return to for pref tomorrow at 1pm. She is hoping for her top two, but knows that may not happen. She is confident that she will be happy with one of the top three knowing that she will pref 2 houses. She’s looking forward to pref. She talks to DD1 who tells her that people may cry during pref, so be prepared. DD2 says “What? That’s a thing?” DD1 says, “ lol, Yes!.” There was no crying as an athlete, so DD2 is bewildered for a moment. I suggest tissues just in case someone else might need them…