View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Edgewater is an existing and active group of older fraternities and sororities. Several of the leaders of their respective national / international organizations meet -- irregularly or regularly, I don't know -- to discuss issues of interest to them. My fraternity not being one of the group, I was not invited to the meetings, but was told by the leaders of several of the involved organizations (and the head of the NIC) that the organization exists and meets. The group was reportedly active in efforts to try to limit the negative effects of alcohol in the Greek world in the past. I cannot say (because I don't know, not because I'm pledged to secrecy) anything about their activities.

I am not sure that the characterization of "elite," as in "better" is apt. "Elite" as in "we're trying to lead" or "aristocratic" may be a more appropriate description of the organization. The members that _I_ knew were not posers, nor were they poorly intentioned. They are, however, often strong teetotalers who believe in their ability to impose that will on others.

Last edited by NonSecret; 09-26-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: none