View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by squirrely girl

Fraternity #2 - This is the house that caused the pizza fire last time. He said that this house was just okay. They had a couple of alums from '69 and '71 over there who made short little speeches. My fiance is former military and he didn't like the idea of "draft dodgers" speaking to everybody. I tried to explain to him that all fraternities had members during the Vietnam years, but he said "those guys aren't my hero's and I don't respect them, so I didn't really want to hear them speak". Other than that, no fires tonight and the guys, overall, weren't bad.

Congrats and I'm glad to hear that your fiance got the house he wanted. Sounds like a happy ending to a fun story.
One minor point I'd like to raise. I am curious to know how he figures that anyone from the classes of '69 and '71 were automatically draft dodgers. My Dad is class of '67 and he served two tours in Viet Nam, both times as a company commander and during his second tour he was acting Battalion Commander for almost six months. He has a Silver Star, three Bronze Stars, an L.O.M, and a Purple Heart among other decorations. Among his junior officers were guys from the classes of '68, '69, and '70 and they were not draft dodgers. They were ROTC cadets who graduated and then took up leadership positions as platoon leaders in combat. Dad says they all did well, served honorably, and were first rate officers. Incidentally, all were Greek. Dad's lieutenants were SAEs, KAs, Betas, one SAM, one Phi Delt, and DEKEs. His experience was that most of the ROTC and a lot of the OCS officers he knew were Greek. Incidentaly, I found the same to be true. A large number of advanced course ROTC guys were Greek and almost all of the Marine PLC guys were also. As I recall we had 2 Marines, 2 Air Force, 4 Navy, and 3 Army in my house alone (counting juniors and seniors) when I graduated. I don't know how it is at your school but I believe that greek support for service to our country is pretty strong across the whole country.
Please ask your fiance to check this out as I would not like him to think Viet Nam era Greeks were draft dodgers but rather guys who pitched in and did their duty irregardless of how they might have felt about the war. Thanks, and congrats again.