View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I still stand by my suggestion that a purpose built high rise apartment would be super cool and would be a huge draw. I'm not talking about REGULAR apartments, but ones where the chapter/shared areas would be on 1 or 2 floors, complete with dining room, TV room, all the stuff of a regular house, and then floor/s for the bedrooms. Then the chapters who all live in that building would have a communal pool, gym, restaurants and shops on the first floor, as would be typical in a luxury high rise apartment building. And having 3 or 4 (or more.. I don't know how tall buildings can go there) chapters on one chunk of ground would be much more space-efficient.
The 40 year old in me likes this. Heck the 25 year old in me would have loved this. But having grown up in Texas, which much like the rest of the south, I can assure you that 18 year olds just want the traditional experience. They want the house that looks like all the others. Different is simply not seen as a positive, and the PNM pool doesn't have enough "non-traditional" types to make it a success. AZ, while not in the south, may fit this situation too.

These girls grow up in communities where friends, older sisters, moms and grandmoms lived in a certain style of building. These girls have grown up visiting those buildings. The style may vary somewhat from campus to campus, but the key is the style does't vary within a campus. They have formed an image of what a sorority house looks like, especially on their campus, and they arrive to college wanting that same image.

I am not saying it is right, or even that it is logical. It's probably not unfair to even say it's superficial. But it is how it is. Trying to put that square peg into a round hole just won't work.

Back to me? The second we downsize our house I am looking for a high rise with everything in it. It sounds perfect, but I've come a long way since 18.