Thread: Accepted 2 Bids
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatToDoNow View Post
I go to a school where the Greek community dominates. This is the SEC. well I met this guy who was really cool and part of a fraternity (F1 for names sake) invited me to some summer events and after a few weeks, durring a large summer party they took me to the brother room and I revived an early bid. I was drunk. And at this point I hadn't spoken with my other fraternities so I requested to "hold" the bid instead of accepting or denying. Keep in mind about ten actives were standing around me and they were all pretty dissapointed with my responce and I could tell and I just blurted out "just messing with y'all, I accept".

Okay so this is when my research began. after I accepted a bid (I know that is stupid) but this was all kind of sudden. I found out that this fraternity blows. like if you say the letters people laugh out loud.

a week went by and I ended up at a top fraternity on campus for a party. we will call this F2. somehow I ended up at waffle house with several actives later on and was invited to go fishing ect. well turns out I get a bid from them a week later. we really hit it off and I was so excited to have the opportunity.

Keep in mind that F1's social events and reputation compared to F2's social events and reputation is like comparing night and day. I don't even go to F1 events anymore, call them, anything. it's only been a week since I've stopped going there. I don't want to pledge F1. but I accepted their bid prematurely because I felt pressured and didn't understand the process. I haven't told F2 about the situation and I haven't told F1 about my bid from F2.

I've been thinking about getting a 30 rack and taking it to F1's recruitment chair and saying sorry I drank the rush beer, I have decided to decline your bid. I just feel bad. but I know where I want to pledge and isn't what makes me happy more important?

my question is. have I done something really wrong by accepting the second bid? and if I just walk away from F1 will that cause some kind of legal issues because I accepted their bid then just left and went somewhere else?

sorry it's long I'm just really confused. I don't want to wait a year to pledge because of this stupid drunk mistake. I'm already really close to my F2 pledge brothers and doing stuff with them at F2 and I really don't want to be denied pledgship because my "recruitment has been ended" by de-pledging F1 or whatever technical shit storm I've created.

I need advice and any technical information you can give about my situation.
I just wish I never even would have went to F1.
Rush rules for NIC groups can vary greatly by campus. At some schools, only the bid you accept on bid day is official or matters, so at those schools, you could have accepted a bid prior to formal recruitment, but that bid would be non-binding. At other schools, once you've received and accepted a bid, you're done.

When you accepted your bid, did you fill out any paperwork? What did it look like? You might inquire with your Greek Life office because no one here (unless you want to tell us what school) can really help you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma