View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
How is it/was it at your school? Does the staff REALLY feel that negative about Greek life, or is it just a tactic to stir up controversy and get people interested in the paper?
Overall, the University of Kentucky's Greek Life is pretty much portrayed fairly in the campus press. I would say The Kentucky Kernel is neither anti-Greek or pro-Greek. Some years, there have been a significant number of reporters that were Greeks. Other years, not so much - if any. When a significant number of reporters belong to a GLO, the positive coverage of Greek Life is more prevalent. Otherwise, I would say reporters (i.e. independent ones) do not go out of their way to cover Greek Life that much. Instead, they simply report what is news or handed to them (*). Which can include the positive as noted in today's Kernel lead story.

Christmas wishes fulfilled: Greeks host party to give kids a holiday experience
By Garrett Wymer
Posted by News Staff on December 10, 2009
The Kentucky Kernel

Excerpt

It was a Christmas party, but it was an atmosphere of thanksgiving that decked the halls of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house Thursday night.

In an annual tradition, fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon joined sorority Alpha Omicron Pi in spreading the joy of Christmas with a holiday party for children and their families who otherwise might not get to experience it.

Spencer Merk, a business and management junior and member of SAE, was one of the organizers for the event, which invites families who might be struggling financially this holiday season.

“These are families who need a little help for Christmas,” he said. “We’re fortunate, and this is just something we can do to chip in a little bit, to give back to the community, to help these kids have a better Christmas.”

(*) To be clear, I do not feel the Kernel staff is lazy. Just that if they do not know to cover an event, then they can not report on it. Only the events or stories that are "out there" will be reported. And as the saying goes, bad news travels. But at the same time, I would add that the UK Greek Community does a pretty good job being proactive in getting the word out about upcoming events, community service, accomplishments etc.