View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My stories don't really involve me directly, but they are what I think of when I think of sisterhood...

I'm sure everyone knows of the shooting at Northern Illinois University. Obviously, people all over the states were in shock but it hit home for college kids in Illinois because if you went to high school in this state you know atleast 1 person that goes to the 7 major Universities. (Eastern, Western, Northern, Southern, U of I, NorthWestern, U I C). I'm not sure if it's like that in all states but it was here! On top of that, Illinois is a very strong state for Sigma Kappa and we have chapters all over the state, including Northern...

With that bit of background goes my stories. When the shooting occured, at my college along with most in Illinois there was mass chaos as everyone was trying to get ahold of friends/family at Northern. Alot of us met at the chapter house, just to find out if any of our girls knew anyone personally involved. We did! My big's best friend was shot multiple times. It took her awhile to find out (I'm sure everyone is aware of the chaos that ensued about trying to get information out with jammed phone lines, trying to find out who was amung the injured..etc). My big's best friend was actually shot numerous times and wound up being the last to be released from the hospital. My big rushed to Northern that night when she found out to stay with her best friend. We all kept in contact with my big to check on her. She stayed with her a few weeks. We sent food and cards, not only to my big to make sure she was doing alright herself, but for her friends family! When she came back to school she was crying when she thanked us.

We also found out there were Sigma Kappa's injured in the shooting. I know one of my sisters at that school- she said the amount of outpouring from chapters all over the states was amazing! They had phone calls/emails/cards sent to them galore, and alumni came back to help the chapter deal with the aftermath. Along with cards/flowers/ and I don't know all what else was sent to the two sisters that were injured.