View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksw33t View Post
hey~ I'm in the process of making about 10million decisions about school..
I've been debating on whether or not to join the living/learning community for my major..They require you to attend some of their events,ect.Have any of you been in one? Did you like it? Did the activities "get in the way" of your greek life? I plan on applying for honors and also rushing...I don't want to be completely overwhelmed..but then again maybe it's a good way to stay balanced. Any suggestions?
Thanx!
i never lived in one but was an RA in a building that had them. i will say all of the residents who CHOSE to live on a living/learning community floor LOVED it. they were a lot more receptive to being social on the floor, in the hall and with their RA. i think its great academically if you are on a floor that based on a common class or major. one hall of ours on campus (an all freshman hall) each floor was grouped by which essay writing class you had. and each floor had a classroom so for at least one class on our schedule you dont even have to leave the building or get dressed! so no excuses to be late to class, the professor comes to you! and it helps with studying and networking for sure.

now whether being on a living learning community floor interferes with being greek... it comes down to time management, just like anything else in college. i knew residents who did both... i knew RAs of thosse floors who did both. you get what you put in... so if you want both experiences to be quality, then be sure to priortize.

if you are looking at it in a housing standpoint, i guess if you went greek you'd move into the sorority house. again, youd have to decide: do you want the sorority house or the floor? the floor will only last a year, the sorority house will always be there. again, depends on the relationships you build.

(i feel like an RA again - all this living learning community Q&A was jammed down our throat for orientation. we had to know it in and out because apparently it originated at my school?)