View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun View Post
I have a daughter who is only a sophomore in HS. She has the 4.0 GPA, tons of community service hours already, and I know I have mom goggles on, but she is a very pretty girl. And I think she will do terrible in recruitment... She is quite shy. She speaks softly and quietly, and she gets nervous and self conscious in big groups. She has a heart of gold, is an excellent friend and listener, lots of fun and witty once you get to know her. I want to help her now. NOT because of recruitment, but I think overcoming this kind of shyness will help in general. Any advice would be appreciated.
Wonderful advice above.

I'd also consider looking into:

1) Assuming your daughter is under 18, see if there is a Toastmasters Youth Leadership Program in your town. https://www.toastmasters.org/educati...ership-program

The programs offered by Toastmaster clubs directly address the areas you mention in your post. They will definitely get her out of her comfort zone and help her develop confidence when speaking with individuals and groups. Once she becomes 18, she can participate in the regular Toastmasters clubs. This would be my first recommendation.

2) Another avenue (which has been suggested repeatedly) is for her to read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." You can buy it used for about $3 or look up a summary on Google or get an audio book. There are also expensive training programs based on Dale Carnegie's work all over. But I'd start with the book.