View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you tried working for an academic department in your school? I don't know what your field of study is exactly (but check and see if there are any opportunities there. A lot of departments may have publications that need someone to help write for them, or check out your school's alumni magazine. Think outside the usual hourly jobs that come to mind... there are some great opportunities out there. What kinds of jobs do your friends do?

Actually, by looking at your profile, I see that you want to go into sports marketing and are majoring in mass communications. There has to be other opportunities in the athletic department for meaningful work (not just the selling programs stuff). Are there other colleges in your town? Any local sports teams? I'm not sure where in PA you are, but there are tons of local sports teams, aside from just the biggies. Just off the top of my head in my side of the state there's the Washington Wildthings, the Altoona Curve, the Baby Penguins over in WilkesBury-Scranton ( know i spelled that wrong). I'm sure there are others that i'm not familiar with. Or look into work for the various high school sports conferences in your area- for instance, in this side of the state, we have the WPIAL.

It can be intimidating and overwhelming, but really, there are a lot of opportunities out there. Find them, present yourself well. If you've applied to several jobs and didn't hear anything, check out your school's career office. They can help go over your resume and what kinds of things you put on your application, and can help you with your interview skills.

I don't mean to put down your work, but the kinds of problems you're complaining about are inherent to that kind of position. It doesn't pay well enough to put up with that sort of headaches when you can make money elsewhere.