View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as I've been involved (28 years now), the local decided each year whether they were going to participate in recruitment with Panhellenic or not. Usually when their numbers were up, they participated. When their numbers were down, they didn't. Formal recruitment has never been a strength for them so their return numbers would be such that they probably wouldn't have to cut anybody.

This particular structure has been in place for around 5 years. At that time, half the chapters were well over Total and the other half were at about 50% of Total. I think they hoped this would equalize things, but it really hasn't. I'm pretty sure it went into effect the year after they weren't in my area of oversight as part of Alpha Gam's Volunteer Service Team. At the same time, Wayne State University in Detroit went to a similar model.

I don't understand why they allow women to attend parties without an invitation. I don't really see any pros to that! The self-timing part is interesting though. As tough as it can be to adjust rotation, the chapters also get a very good idea about who really wants to be there.

I've encouraged my PNMs to attend all the parties equally when they can and to attend only parties for which they receive invitations (and ALL the parties for which they receive invitations also, until Pref when they have to decide).