View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

While sororities here emphasize grades, volunteering, positions on campus, etc, in my experience in the overwhelming majority of fraternities it does not matter. We cut involved kids without a second thought, and pledged grade risks without even batting an eye. Fraternities tend to come down to "do we like this guy or not?". Unless your involvement is a varsity sport, I doubt it will even really be discussed.

From reading your story, I would look elsewhere, if only for security. A friend in the chapter does not really do much. We cut guys who were really good friends with kids in our chapter all the time. Also, for many fraternities, it may just take one vote to keep you out from being pledged. I also cannot honestly remember taking a guy who rushed our house a second time, and there were many.

FWIW, my best friend from college was in a rival fraternity, and I'm closer to that guy still than anybody who was in my house. You can still be close friends with somebody even if you are not in the same house.