View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
If there are multicultural/historically minority organizations on campus as well as NPC/NIC, do you think the latter two would less likely become diverse? Would you think that it is an issue? Is there a way to encourage minorities to go through recruitment at historically white organizations (HWOs)? I'm just asking because many HWOs want to diversify themselves, but often find it difficult.
Actually at my school the "Multi-cultuarl" GLOs,(we don't have any national MGLOs like TNX) but we do have locals that are multi cultural, and they are the least diverse orgs on campus.
I pledged one and 90% of my would-be sisters were Philipino. They practically begged me to join so I could help diversify them. hehe. The only caucasion person I met was an alum from 4 years earlier, and I met one African American Alum. It is the same with the other two local Multicultural chapters I can think of, they are mostly comprised of one race.
After that chapter didn't work out for me (for other reasons other than the lack of diversity.) I joined Phi Sig, and we are definitely diverse, as are the other two NPC chapters on my campus.
I think the problem is when people see a group of all one type of people they think "oh it's JUST for them." You have to find a way to let them know it's not just for that group or race, make sure they know they are welcome and can join.