View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My memory of rush (back in the days of dinosaurs) may be clouded now, or may be that I was in the situation that I only went through rush to move away from my mother a week early and did not care about the results. I had no plans to join ANY sorority, I had not one rec (only to find that in those days rec requests were sent to local Alumnae Chapters by the houses during work week), there were far less woman going through rush as it was during the civil rights movement and the Viet Nam war, I had not the slightest idea about tiers and of course, I did not attend a Southern campus unless you consider Southern California to be "south". There were only between 200-250 women who went through rush and there were 10 houses (one was on the verge of closing and did close and the end of the school year). Cap was in the 50's thus no more than 500 women were Greek on a campus of 35,000. "Helicopter moms" were unheard of, not everyone won a trophy in those days, and calling home was a major expense so you HAD to figure things out on your own. I often cringe as I read the recruitment stories today and can't imagine having that much stress JUST to be a member of the Greek system.

DaffyKD