Thread: A few questions
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter131 View Post
A few brothers in the frat told me that being a legacy is an automatic bid. Geez, that was easier than I thought.

Really?? Well, I guess different chapters at different schools have their procedures regarding legacies, but I sure know and know of people (guys and girls both) who have been cut by their legacy houses. (I addressed this some in another thread you asked a question in, but you may not have seen my response yet.) I have a friend feeling the sting right now. In August, her son was cut by the fraternity his dad and grandfather are members of. Come to think of it, I believe she told me an uncle was also a member.

My oldest son just accepted a bid from his legacy. Several men in our family, including his dad, are members, with two being past presidents of their chapters and one being a founding member of his. Even with the long standing family involvement with this fraternity, my son was advised by his dad not to approach recruitment all cozy and comfortable with his legacy standing -- he knows those bids don't always come.

Again though, different chapters at different schools may do it their own way. Personally, I wouldn't like it. What if the legacy is a rude, obnoxious, arrogant jerk with a history of causing trouble, barely makes grades and is disrespectful to women? Who would like having to extend an automatic bid to someone they know will not be a good representative of their organization?

Also, I second the advice you were given to use the word "fraternity" over "frat." Some members are cool with frat while others aren't and find it offensive. (My husband hates "frat" and always has. ) You can't go wrong with "fraternity", so play it safe and good luck with your recruitment!

Last edited by greekdee; 09-16-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: misspelled words