View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I was initiated in 1984 and my pledge period was 8 weeks- same as it is now. Numbers wise, there simply aren't that many women who don't make grades today. Of course in 1984, the minimum GPA was a 2.0 to initiate and it's significantly higher now. Back then, if they didn't make grades, they got kicked out of school anyway.

The way information is presented is much, much better than it used to be, but the real requirements to be initiated haven't changed much at all. Our test was oral and it's a written test now. None of the things that aren't allowed now were ever part of our program from the International org. It was stuff that chapters made up and it really didn't serve a purpose.

I was really glad I wasn't in the chapter of women who had to go around campus blindfolded, hanging onto a rope with their hair in curlers and cold cream smeared all over their faces. I would have turned around and walked away from that group in a hot minute.

I had a boyfriend in a Fraternity so the fraternity guys didn't bug me much but some of my sisters were expected to kiss guys to get their signatures. And yes, agzg is right, there were also some sisters who were jerks. Our VP Fraternity Education could talk to them AFTER something happened, but once it happens, it is already too late. As one of the sisters who always had to run interference to keep pledges and sisters safe, that was unfair to me to put me in that position. It made me angry with my sisters a lot of the time and it ruined events for me because I was always having to save someone from themselves(because they were out of control drunk) or from someone else (because they were trying to haze a sister or a sister was being sexually assaulted). Not the good old days from what I remember...