View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
When I was an undergrad (back in the day!) I remember hearing of a local group at Furman Univ. (SC) that was called the Chios. We were told that Chi Omega never challenged their use of the name because eventually, it might be possible to have them as a part of Chi Omega when/if the campus decided to allow NPC groups.
That's not surprising.

When I was an undergrad there (early 80s), there were about a dozen fraternities/sororities, all local, because the university (at the time associated with the Southern Baptists) didn't allow any to be associated with any national group. (I head that one was, and was immediately 'kicked off campus').

All took greek names similiar to real national groups, BUT 'hide' them in their names. The TKEs were the "The Knights Eternal", the BEs were the "Brothers in Eternity" and the like. They would wear stitch with the greek letters, held rush, did hell week, etc. (for all I know, they might have been better behaved if they HAD been part of a national group and had to follow their rules...).

Since the university went independent, this rule was dropped and AFAIK, all the locals have now associated with national groups.
Section 71 Chair