View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Hardly drink.. should I even bother?

First of all, I just want to say that I know absolutely nothing about the recruitment process of Fraternities. However, I’m extremely interested in joining a frat at my school.

The problem here is that I hardly drink, and I’ve been drunk once and I hated it. I’m interested in joining a frat because of things far beyond partying and drinking, because I see the long term benefits and bonds that are formed. I go to parties, I have fun, and my best friend from high school was a borderline alcoholic lol. Its nothing that I haven’t seen before, and I actually enjoy being around it. But as for consuming, its just not for me. (I do drink casually, but not enough to become intoxicated)

Also, I’m a sophomore. I read somewhere that could hurt? Not sure why. But my grades are solid. Basically I’ve realized after about a year of school that I’m not happy with the routine I’ve settled into and the people I’m surrounded by. I have no problem meeting people, but the friends I’ve made just aren’t like me. I like sports, I like to play basketball, I like girls. Most ‘GDIs’ are just.... well.... nerdy, and not like me. Odds are if you’re reading this, you’re in a frat/surrority and you completely love it (I’ve never heard of anyone regretting joining). Imagine living in a new city feeling completely out of place. And if I just say ‘screw it’ and start drinking heavily, I’ll feel like I’ve lost a bit of my individuality which I value highly.

So basically, I just want to know more about recruitment. The main frat around here looks like Alpha Tau Omega. Although there’s a loooot more (University of Tennessee). If I stick to my guns, will that automatically kill my chances? Or should I just not bother, and continue to hate my friends? ha

Be brutally honest. If you need more information for some reason, ask. And if you read all of this, I appreciate you.